Of Mountains, Lakes and Plains
Naivasha | Masai Mara | Samburu
A 9 nights / 10 days safari from the Great Lakes of the Rift Valley, to the teeming plains of the Masai Mara and the vast, arid vistas of Samburuland.
ALL INCLUSIVE per person, valid until 19th December 2017 (excl. Christmas period)
Low season US$5,151
Mid season US$5,973
High season US$6,783
Including: Full board accommodation, conservation fees, all internal flights and transfers (including taxes), airport meet and greet, temporary Flying Doctors membership, game drives in 4x4 vehicles, soft drinks, beer, house wine and local spirits, laundry, one complimentary Back & Neck massage (30mins.) per room per stay at each Saruni property, VAT & taxes.
Marvel at the beauty of wilderness, reconnect with nature and be reminded of the grand scheme of life on this soul-filling journey.
Encounter wildlife abundant and naturally rich conservation areas, from the shores of Lake Naivasha, bordered by a panorama of extinct volcanic cones and hills; to the open grasslands, rivers and mountains of the Masai Mara, and the rugged, unending vistas of Samburu.
Delight in the diversity and uniqueness of these beautiful areas and experience an array of breathtaking landscapes and animals – the endemic, the endangered and the spectacular.
Experience the world renowned birdlife of Lake Naivasha, Africa’s classic Big Five and abundance of plains wildlife and predators in the Mara, and Samburu’s rare Special Five.
Saruni Mara is the only small, boutique lodge in the Mara, with five elegant cottages, one family villa and one private villa, making it very intimate and exclusive. The beautifully decorated themed rooms have a luxurious and classic safari feel. The lodge is tucked away in a secluded valley in Mara North Conservancy, a prime and private game-viewing area bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve – Africa’s most renowned game park. Enjoy the Italian-inspired cuisine and being immersed in nature from your private veranda, the Maasai Wellbeing Space and the open lounge and dining area. Maasai warriors guide you throughout your stay, sharing their ancient wisdom and local knowledge of the area and animals, their way of life and secret corners of this remarkable ecosystem.
Activities and amenities: day and night game drives, bush meals, guided walks, spa treatments, picnics, library, balloon safaris.
Saruni Wild is a tented camp elegantly and comfortably furnished with all the necessary luxuries of a wild yet classic safari. The camp is located in the heart of the Masai Mara plains, on the border between Lemek Conservancy and Mara North Conservancy. Surrounded by tens of thousands acres of pristine, untouched wilderness, the camp has the most classic Masai Mara setting. The wildlife thrive right next to its tents. Enjoy endless views, fire-lit meals under the vast African sky, guided game drives led by Maasai warriors.
Activities and amenities: day and night game drives, bush meals, guided walks, birdwatching, Maasai Wellbeing Space treatments, picnics, library, balloon safaris, Saruni Shop.
Saruni Samburu’s six luxury villas are open and spacious, heralding spectacular views over Kenya’s Northern Frontier District and Mount Kenya. The warm hospitality makes for an exceptional experience. The lodge is revered for its innovative, eco-chic design, as well as its Italian-inspired cuisine. Guests can enjoy the vast panoramas from the dining and lounge area, the infinity pools and Samburu Wellbeing Space. Saruni Samburu is the only lodge in Kalama Conservancy, bordering Samburu National Reserve, with 200,000 acres of unspoiled wilderness to explore exclusively. You are guided by Samburu warriors passionate about their land and culture, learning about their fascinating traditions and gaining ancient, local knowledge about the land and animals – a truly authentic experience.
Activities and amenities: day and night game drives, bush meals, guided walks, Samburu Wellbeing Space treatments, picnics, two swimming pools, helicopter excursions, Samburu cultural visits, Saruni Shop.
Kongoni Lodge is a beautiful old colonial house nestled among 1,000 acres of hills in the Great Rift Valley on the shores of Lake Naivasha. Its spacious dining room, living room, swimming pool, and a large veranda all have an incredible view over the lake and vast green lawn – a favourite grazing place for the animals. Giraffe, zebras, antelope, hippos and warthog visit the garden often. Surrounded by a panorama of extinct volcanic cones and the immense, beautiful lake bordered by tall acacia trees, guests can enjoy their comfortable rooms and modern ensuite bathrooms.
Activities and amenities: swimming pool, game drives, visits to the Animal Orphanage, Lake Naivasha boat rides, excursions to Hells Gate National Park.
Day 1: Kongoni Lodge
- Arrive at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, where a Saruni vehicle will transfer you to Kongoni Lodge, which is two and a half hour drive away.
- Enjoy a game drive through the volcanic hills in the evening, and finish off the day with a sundowner overlooking Lake Naivasha.
Day 2: Kongoni Lodge
- Set off on a morning boat ride on the lake, delighting in the amazing birdlife and peaceful scenery.
- Head home passing the enormous flocks of flamingoes and pods of hippos in time for a delicious lunch.
- Visit the Kongoni Animal Orphanage, where orphaned animals of various species are being hand-reared before being released back into the wild.
Day 3: Kongoni Lodge
- Watch wildlife from your verandah, enjoy a game drive witnessing the diversity of animals in the area, relax at the lodge and maybe head out on a night drive.
Day 4: Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Depart Kongoni on your flight from Loldia Airstrip in the morning* and arrive in the Masai Mara an hour and a half later.
- Game drive with a picnic lunch to enjoy under an acacia tree or by the river next to a pod of hippos, or head to Saruni Mara or Saruni Wild for some rest and an exclusive game drive later in the afternoon in Mara North Conservancy – over 30,000 acres of plentiful, protected land bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve. Enjoy a completely different and less-explored corner of the Mara ecosystem in total privacy, brimming with wildlife.
Day 5: Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Early morning game drive to look for the big cats and other predators of the Mara, returning to the camp or lodge for lunch and treatments at the Maasai Wellbeing Space.
- In the afternoon, a game drive will take you to a special area where the largest tower of giraffe can be seen, followed by dinner at the lodge or camp and an optional night game drive.
Day 6: Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Walk through the valleys and plains surrounding Saruni Mara, accompanied by a vehicle, or a game drive up to the top of Kilileoni, the highest mountain in the Serengeti-Masai Mara ecosystem - led by your skillful and knowledgeable Maasai guides.
- In the afternoon you will discover more of Mara North and its neighbouring conservancies and experience first-hand what makes the Mara one of the most exciting wildernesses in the world.
- Weather permitting, experience a bush dinner in the middle of nature under the vast African sky, with Maasai warriors singing and dancing around the fire.
Day 7: Saruni Samburu
- Visit the rhino sanctuary on the way to the airstrip and once again admire the hippos and the crocodiles of the Mara River.
- Depart the Mara in the morning*, arriving at Wilson in Nairobi an hour and a half later, where you will connect with your flight to Samburu arriving an hour later.
- Afternoon game drive on Kalama Conservancy exploring over 200,000 acres of pristine wilderness in total privacy and sundowners with a breathtaking view.
Day 8: Saruni Samburu
- Early morning game drive into Samburu National Reserve to seek out the ‘Samburu Special Five’: the reticulated giraffe, the Grevy zebra, the beisa oryx, the Somali ostrich and the gerenuk, all rare species that occur only in this part of the country, and look for its well known larger wildlife including elephants, lion and leopard. Enjoy a picnic lunch before heading back to the lodge to relax for the afternoon.
- Enjoy a complimentary half hour massage upon arriving back at the lodge at the Samburu Wellbeing Space.
Day 9: Saruni Samburu
- Continue to explore the wonders of Samburu with a morning game drive and after lunch head out on a nature walk discovering animals, plants and the caves in the local area with rock paintings, led by your skillful and knowledgeable Samburu guides.
- Evening game drive in Kalama Conservancy, the 200,000-acre private wildlife conservancy in which Saruni Samburu is located, ending with a bush dinner under the stars in the middle of the wilderness, and a night drive back to the lodge. The Samburu warriors dancing, candles and fire under the vast African skies, make this a truly magical experience, and one of the highlights of your stay.
Day 10: Departure
- Enjoy your final morning waking up in paradise to a beautiful sunrise, and depart on your flight back to Nairobi leaving Samburu at 11:00 AM and arriving in Nairobi at 12:20 PM.
- A Saruni vehicle will collect and transfer you to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Depending on the time of your international flight, stop at the Talisman or Carnivore restaurant for dinner.
Note: The Saruni Tours Team can modify and tailor this itinerary to suit your personal preference. Baggage allowance on internal flights is 15kg per person, preferably in small, soft bags without wheels. Seats on the schedule flights are subject to availability at confirmation. Rates with children or single occupancy are available upon request. Flight times and durations may vary depending on airline and routing, and are subject to change.