Samburu | Masai Mara
A 6 nights / 7 days family journey of fun and adventure through two of Kenya’s most loved wildernesses.
All inclusive from US$2,320 per child under 16;
All inclusive from US$3,860 per adult.
Valid from 3rd January-19th December 2017
Including: All inclusive accommodation (Full board including soft drinks, beers, house wines and local spirits), conservation fees, all internal flights and transfers (including taxes), airport assistance, temporary Flying Doctors cover, sundowner & picnic excursions, bush meals, guided bush walks, shared game drives in 4x4 vehicles, soft drinks, beer, house wine and local spirits, in-house laundry, a half day of saruni’s Warriors Academy at both lodges, a family villa (subject to availability), one complimentary Back & Neck massage (30mins.) per room per stay at our Wellbeing Spaces.
This life-enriching family journey perfectly combines fun and adventure, luxury and relaxation, wildlife and culture, for parents and children alike.
Encounter Africa’s storybook wildlife up close, from the giant crocodiles and hippos of the Mara River and large prides of lion on the plains, to the enormous herds of Samburu elephant and the Samburu Five – rare species only found in Samburu.
Discover the Maasai and Samburu tribes, learning first-hand about their ancient customs and local knowledge in Saruni’s unique Warriors Academy - our interactive learning programme designed specifically for families with children.
Explore the teeming open plains and private forested valleys around Saruni Mara and the unending, rugged vistas of Saruni Samburu – an unrivalled family experience.
Saruni Samburu’s six luxury villas are open and spacious, heralding spectacular views over Kenya’s Northern Frontier District and Mount Kenya. The warm hospitality makes for an exceptional experience. The lodge is revered for its innovative, eco-chic design, as well as its Italian-inspired cuisine. Guests can enjoy the vast panoramas from the dining and lounge area, the infinity pools and Samburu Wellbeing Space. Saruni Samburu is the only lodge in Kalama Conservancy, bordering Samburu National Reserve, with 200,000 acres of unspoiled wilderness to explore exclusively. You are guided by Samburu warriors passionate about their land and culture, learning about their fascinating traditions and gaining ancient, local knowledge about the land and animals – a truly authentic experience.
Activities and amenities: day and night game drives, bush dinners, guided walks, Samburu Wellbeing Space treatments, picnics, two swimming pools, Warriors Academy, helicopter excursions, Samburu cultural visits, Saruni shop.
Saruni Mara is the only small, boutique lodge in the Mara, with five elegant cottages, one family villa and one private villa, making it very intimate and exclusive. The beautifully decorated themed rooms have a luxurious and classic safari feel. The lodge is tucked away in a secluded valley in Mara North Conservancy, a prime and private game-viewing area bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve – Africa’s most renowned game park. Enjoy the Italian-inspired cuisine and being immersed in nature from your private veranda, the Maasai Wellbeing Space and the open lounge and dining area. Maasai warriors guide you throughout your stay, sharing their ancient wisdom and local knowledge of the area and animals, their way of life and secret corners of this remarkable ecosystem.
Activities and amenities: day and night game drives, bush meals, guided walks, Maasai Wellbeing Space treatments, picnics, library, Warriors Academy, balloon safaris.
Day 1 - Saruni Samburu
- Arrive at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, where a Saruni vehicle will transfer you to Wilson Airport for your flight to Samburu.
- Depart Nairobi in the morning*, arriving at Samburu an hour later, where your Saruni Samburu guide will meet you and transfer you to the lodge, or take you on a game drive.
- Afternoon game drive on Kalama Conservancy exploring over 200,000 acres of pristine wilderness in total privacy and sundowners with a breathtaking view.
Day 2 - Saruni Samburu
- Early morning game drive into Samburu National Reserve to seek out the ‘Samburu Special Five’: the reticulated giraffe, the Grevy zebra, the beisa oryx, the Somali ostrich and the gerenuk, all rare species that occur only in this part of the country, and look for its well known larger wildlife including elephants, lion and leopard. Enjoy a picnic lunch before heading back to the lodge to relax for the afternoon.
- Enjoy a complimentary half hour Back & Neck massage upon arriving back at the lodge at the Samburu Wellbeing Space.
Day 3 - Saruni Samburu
- Continue to explore the wonders of Samburu with a morning game drive into the National Reserve discovering the delights of life along the Ewaso Nyiro: crocodiles, birdlife, bathing elephants and much more.
- Enroll in our Warrior’s Academy for the afternoon. Experience original Samburu villages - learn how to use bows, arrows and spears, and how to bead traditional artifacts whilst listening to tribal stories and songs.
- Evening game drive in Kalama Conservancy, the 200,000-acre private wildlife conservancy in which Saruni Samburu is located, ending with a bush dinner under the stars in the middle of the wilderness, and a night drive back to the lodge. The Samburu warriors dancing, candles and fire under the vast African skies, make this a truly magical experience, and one of the highlights of your stay.
Day 4 - Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Depart Samburu on your flight in the morning* and arrive in the Masai Mara an hour and a half later.
- Game drive with a picnic lunch to enjoy under an acacia tree or by the river next to a pod of hippos. Or head to Saruni Mara for some rest and an exclusive game drive later in the afternoon in Mara North Conservancy – over 30,000 acres of plentiful, protected land bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve. Enjoy a completely different and less-explored corner of the Mara ecosystem in total privacy, brimming with wildlife.
Day 5 - Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Early morning game drive to look for the big cats and other predators of the Mara, returning to the lodge for lunch and treatments at the Maasai Wellbeing Space.
- In the afternoon, a game drive will take you to a special area where the largest tower of giraffe can be seen, followed by dinner at the lodge and an optional night game drive.
Day 6 - Saruni Mara / Saruni Wild
- Walk through the valleys and plains surrounding Saruni Mara, accompanied by a vehicle, or a game drive up to the top of Kilileoni, the highest mountain in the Serengeti-Masai Mara ecosystem - led by your skillful and knowledgeable Maasai guides.
- Enroll in our Warrior’s Academy for the afternoon. Encounter Africa’s storybook wildlife up close and refine your bush skills, as you study the giant crocodiles and hippos of the Mara River. Discover the ancient wisdom of the Maasai learning first-hand about their customs and local knowledge of the animals and landscape and traditional plants used for medicine.
- Weather permitting, experience a bush dinner in the middle of nature under the vast African sky, with Maasai warriors singing and dancing around the fire.
Day 7 - Departure
- Visit the rhino sanctuary on the way to the airstrip and once again admire the hippos and the crocodiles of the Mara River.
- The flight back to Nairobi leaves the Mara at 11:00 AM and arrives in Nairobi at 12:20 PM.
- Transfer to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport with Saruni driver and vehicle. Depending on the time of your international flight, stop at the Talisman or Carnivore restaurant for dinner.
Note: The Saruni Tours team can modify and tailor this itinerary to suit your personal preference. Baggage allowance on internal flights is 15kg per person, preferably in small, soft bags without wheels. Seats on the schedule flights are subject to availability at confirmation. Rates with children or single occupancy are available upon request. *Flight times and durations may vary depending on airline and routing, and are subject to change.